Friday, May 25, 2012

Dance Recital - Two Perspectives - Part 2

Glynne:
    The dance recital is something all of us girls look forward to every year. It's a chance for us to get to don cool costumes and have fun performing on stage with awesome friends. This year wasn't any different. We started preparing about an hour or so before we had to be at the high school. Once we got there, Kate and Emma got settled in their dressing rooms, then Ally and I headed out to stretch on stage with our classes. We mostly ended up talking instead of stretching... but, that's the fun part, right? After a while, we headed back to the little kids' dressing room where Mrs. Camp always prays with us before the show. When she finished we had a few minutes to prepare before the first dance was called to start.


The first number is almost always toe-tap - except one year when I think Ally's jazz class got to go first... Anyway, this dance was really cute because it was done to Friend Like Me from Aladdin. Our really good friend, Annelise Gardner, is the genie on the left. 



This is Kate's tap! She was so cute. None of them really knew the dance... but it's alright. They were cute enough that no one cared. Kate is the 3rd in from the right. 


One of the sad things about the recital is that every year we have seniors who graduate. They have a chance to dance alone and we all love to watch them. This is Manon Marcotte. She started dance only a few years ago but has progressed immensely. She's so much fun to be around and we're all going to miss her a ton! 


This year Emma's jazz class danced to Rolling in the Deep and everyone said it was one of their favorite dances!




We have two funk teams at DanceCamp which are dance teams that sometimes perform at college and high school basketball games. This is the junior team that Emma is on with Annelise. 


They performed a dance to Ridin' Solo with sunglasses on! I thought it was a cute surprise to add to the dance.




Emma was the only one of us in pointe this year. Ally and I had both tried it for a few years, but just didn't love it enough to continue on. A pair of pointe shoes costs around $80!!! Yikes. I adored this dance though. These pictures are some of my favorites from the whole recital. 




This is Phoebe Muldrow - another senior. She started dance two years ago and made it onto the advanced funk team her first try! She's such an energetic, fun person and brings so much life and passion to her dancing. 



This year, Ally made it onto the advanced funk team with me! We had so much fun during class. I love having her in dance classes with me. 



During our jazz class we decided to perform two dances. The first (top picture) was a traditional jazz dance, and for the second (bottom picture) we got to learn contemporary! It was so awesome. We LOVED that dance. 


Every year we have a tradition where the advanced and junior teams get to be in a dance together. One of our favorite things about these dances are our awesomely amazing kicklines! Those things are killer, but fun. 



     This dance really stole the show. Colby (Mrs. Camp's oldest son) graduated this year. So, to please his mom, he agreed to learn a dance to perform with her at the recital. They did a waltz to the song Twenty Years Late by David St. Romain. It was so sweet. There was hardly a dry eye in the house.

     After the recital was over, I realized that I only have one more time to do this before it's my turn to graduate! That's crazy! I'm going to miss it so much. And it made me realize that I need to find another form of exercise... otherwise there is no way I'm going to avoid the dreaded freshman 15! 

Oh, and on a side note, before I forget, Jonah turned 6 months on Tuesday. None of us can believe it's already been this long. Everyday we love him more - if that's even possible. 



Have a wonderful weekend!



2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog! I missed dancing in the recital this year, but it sure was fun watching and taking pictures of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We missed you so much! Oh, and I put some of your pictures up here... Sorry. I forgot to ask!

      Delete