Friday, July 6, 2012

Haitian Food

     One of the things I love about traveling is getting to try new and interesting food. I found some of them delicious. And some of them not so much. So, here is a list of all the new things we've tried and our reactions.

Goat - Dad: I liked it. Very strong flavored. The cuts of meat left all the bones in though. It was really dark meat. I was surprised by that. 
Glynne: Liked the goat. But it was hard to eat because I got a piece with a lot of bones. 
Ally: I got a part with mostly bones and not much meat. It was ok. 
Emma: I got two pieces and only one had tiny bones in it. It was like, really really good. 


Passion Fruit - Dad: Um... I did like it. I wouldn't seek it out, but I like it. 
Glynne: Eh... Didn't really like this one. Taste and texture was like sour boogers with crunchy seeds. Not my favorite. 
Ally: I didn't even try this one. 
Emma: The texture was AWFUL, but the taste was ok. 


Mango - Dad: I liked mango. 
Glynne: Mango was really good. The only downside was that it would get stuck in your teeth. 
Ally: It was ok. Not my favorite. 
Emma: I didn't like it. Too sweet and weirdly textured. 


Fried Plantains - Dad: Awesome with peanut butter. Really plain without it. I would love to make it at home. It's probably the only thing I'd like to try at home. 
Glynne: All their desserts here are pretty bland, unlike ours back in the US. So I didn't like it much at first. Once I put peanut butter on it, it was pretty good. 
Ally: Oh, golly. I didn't like those either. 
Emma: I liked them if you ate them with peanut butter. And ketchup. They were good with ketchup. 


Conch Snail - Dad: Fun to eat. As long as you didn't completely chew it. 
Glynne: Well, the first time I ate this I thought I was biting into chicken. Nope. Snail. It has a very dense, fishy texture. Not the best. But fun to try. 
Ally: I didn't like it either. Too chewy. 
Emma: I just... (made a face) was kind of grossed out I was eating a snail. I sort of liked it the first time, but then it got gross. 


Some sort of unidentified root (sort of like a potato) - Dad: They were good. Like potatoes. I like these better actually. 
Glynne: Personally, I liked these better than potatoes. More of a creamy texture. 
Ally: I like those! They were good. 
Emma: They were my favorite of all the food. Really yummy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment