Friday, February 24, 2012

How It All Started

     Ok. This is my first attempt at writing a blog, so bear with me. Honestly, I haven't even read other people's blogs, but my mom has. I'm sure she'll have plenty of opinions. I suppose my first post should be an introduction of our family and how we became a big, crazy homeschooled family.
     It all started when my parents met at a small college in southern Kansas. My mom was studying to be a teacher while my dad was busy getting the credits he needed for medical school. Actually, he hadn't decided what he wanted to do until he met my mom's mom. She was the one who suggested he go to medical school. Who wouldn't want their daughter to marry a doctor? Anyway, he thought that sounded like something he would enjoy. So, they got married and moved to Kansas City so he could study at KU. My mom taught at a middle school while they were there. In 1995, they were blessed with something pretty amazing. Me. Just kidding... It was really hard for them both. My dad skipped classes to watch me, while my mom taught. He managed to study from other people's notes while watching me. Sound like fun? I didn't think so. He usually met my mom at the door. Not with a hug, but with a, "Here. Take her. I'm done." They managed to make it work until my mom quit teaching to stay home with me.
     Soon, we moved to Wichita to finish up medical school and to do residency. During the five years we lived there, we added two more kids to the family. Allyson (Ally) was born in 1996, and Emma followed soon after in 1998. When residency was done, we decided to move to a smaller town. The same town where they had met in college. We moved into a house that was only a few houses down from my mom's parents in the summer of 2000. A few months afterwards, in November, Landon was born. While living in that house, we added three more kids to our growing family. Kathryn (Kate) was born in 2003, Isaac in 2005, and Jackson in 2007.
     One of my parents biggest dreams was to build a house on their own land. They had planned and saved for this dream for a really long time. A few years after we moved, they bought land, but hadn't been ready to build. I still remember calculating how old I would be when we finally got to build our house. I was so excited that when we moved I would have my ears pierced! During the summer of 2008, we finally saw my parents' dream start to take shape. The house was going up! For months after that, our doorbell would ring everyday. Fans, light fixtures, bathroom mirrors, sinks, faucets, and many other items would be delivered. My mom found this exciting, but I didn't quite understand why. I mean, what's so great about faucets? She told me I'd understand if I built my own house someday. We moved into our house the summer of 2009.
    At that point in time, we all thought our family was complete. Almost all of us were positive Jack was the last one. Except Emma. Emma has always had dreams of having 10 kids. So, of course, she was begging Mom and Dad for more. She wanted another so badly, that she was praying every night for God to give us just one more. During our spring break vacation of 2011, my parents informed us that her prayers had been answered! We were expecting another Davis to arrive in November. I was beyond surprised. I had the feeling you read about in books, where the character feels like everything is a dream and can't wake up. Not in a bad way. A good way. So, on November 22, 2011, we welcomed the latest addition to our family. Jonah Craig Davis. Since then, we've been busy with a new baby and trying to keep our heads above water. So far, so good!

3 comments:

  1. Great start Glynne! Can't wait to hear more from the Davis family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, Glynne, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been blogging for a few years now. I've kind of fallen down on the job a bit since Facebook started... :o(

    You're doing a great job! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete